Wednesday, November 22, 2006

And now for something completely different...

My oldest son, Daniel, is starting to ask all kinds of questions (he’s four), and thinking deeply about all manner of subjects. One of my favorite Biblical teachers, Steve Gregg (‘The Narrow Path’), says of children, “Children, especially those about six to ten years old are the deepest thinkers and greatest philosophers you will ever find. How many of you have recently contemplated, for any length of time, what you would be like if you were a tree? These are the kind of things children think about.”

Anyway, Daniel has been asking questions about Heaven lately, and as I have recently studied the topic and am currently teaching our Church’s High School class on it, I am full of all kinds of fun information to share with him.

Daniel was concerned recently about dying, and I (and my wife) had re-assured him that there will be a time when God will give His followers their own bodies back to them, but in a perfected form that will never get sick or break again. After thinking about this for awhile, apparently trying to get his head around the idea that our resurrection bodies will not break or grow old ever again, he asked, “Will we be made of concrete? ‘Cause I don’t want to be concrete. Not ever.”

Obviously, in his mind, concrete is the only possible substance capable of such imperviousness to injury and illness.

A day or so later, my wife had drawn a hopscotch diagram on the slab deck in our backyard, and Daniel was trying to play on it. Suddenly, my wife, working away in the kitchen, hears him shouting from the backyard, “Help, Mom, I need help!”

Running into the backyard, she finds Danny standing on the number two square of the hopscotch diagram. “What’s the matter, Danny?” she asked him.

“Help, Mom, I can’t do this!”

“Why? What’s the matter?”
“Because,” said Daniel, while looking at the number 3 square, “I don’t have three legs.”

No comments: